Admiralty Head Lighthouse and Fort Casey's big guns stood watch over the entrance to Puget Sound for decades. Today they watch over a breath-taking view of the Olympic mountains, Port Townsend ferry, shipping lanes, even Orca whales.
Built in 1861 and rebuilt in 1903, the lighthouse guided tall ships toward the Whidbey Island shore where they could fill their sails with wind. It was the last brick lighthouse designed by renowned German architect Carl Leick - its walls 18 inches thick to withstand the earthquakes that shake western Washington.
Admiralty Head's Fresnel lens was extinguished in 1922, but the lighthouse today welcomes visitors, weddings and tour parties with the help of dedicated volunteers. Enjoy our rich historical exhibits, browse our gift shop, and help preserve and restore Admiralty Head Lighthouse by becoming a member of Keepers of Admiralty Head Lighthouse.
Location: near Fort Casey, Coupeville, WA